Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chicken of the Sky

This weekend my sister and I got into a rather interesting discussion about pigeons. When I say interesting, I’m not meaning in a wow that is intriguing type way. This conversation was about pigeons that are missing parts of their feet. She said that there were only a few pigeons that were like that. I completely disagreed. I informed her of the last time I was in Baltimore, and how almost every single pigeon I saw was missing at least one of its toes. She laughed at me and said that I would be one of those people who would notice something like that.

The thing that really bothered me about those poor pigeons, was the fact that they had those little tracker things on their ankles. It wasn’t that they had them, it was the fact that the ones that were the worst off, had them. There was one pigeon that had a stub for a leg, and his other leg (with the plastic thing) only had one toe which probably was the only thing keeping the tracker on his leg. The tracker means that someone is watching after him, doesn’t it? So, if that is true, how come those pigeons are missing the most amounts of their feet? I would think that they would be better off than the other pigeons, not worse off. The only reason I can come up with that they have less toes, is because the other pigeons got jealous and started attacking him so that was they could have the special tracker. I mean really, those trackers do stand out pretty well.

I just feel bad for those pigeons. It’s not their fault that they were picked to be tacked. I can understand why someone might want to do tracking for scientific purposes, but why wouldn’t those scientists want to take care of their experiments. It just seems cruel to let poor pigeons walk around with nubs for feet and only one eye. There really is a pigeons that looked like that, at least there was, and he seemed to stay around the Hooters in the Harbor in Baltimore. I found that rather amusing myself. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment