Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A is for Addiction

I've been on pain medication constantly for over 6 months. Last week after hurting my Akiles tendon, and being even more heavily medicated, I decided to stop taking it. I'm so sick of being out of it all the time and feeling completely subdued. There is both an upside and a downside to just stopping pain medication. I had been off of it all weekend until last night when I finally caved and took some. I will admit that I also took some this morning and I am not proud of it. I need to just let me body detox from all this medicine, but I also managed to get sick while detoxing. figures that I would become ill and be detoxing at the same time. My body is completely backwards and I'm sick of it.

Now to cover the upsides to just stopping pain medication. First, that means your body will get over it quicker. Which, I have to say is nice. Then my body will be detoxed from the entire thing and the only time I'll need to take anything is occasionally, if that. The other good thing about just stopping it, is that you feel mentally strong and confident. If I can make it through this, I feel like I can make it through anything.

The downside to all of this, is that I'm going through really bad withdrawals. Since I didn't just taper off of the medication, my body is freaking out not having its fix. I don't enjoy that, making it sound like I'm an addict. I guess technically I am though, but at least I realize that I don't enjoy it. That makes me different right? I mean I took my body off of 30 mg an our of pain medication in a patch form, and 2 pills of Diloted ever 6 hours. Before that I was on the patch and Narco for break through pain. I took myself off quite a lot of pain medication.

I can make it through this. If I can make it through cancer, gallbladder failure, appendix removal, tonsil removal, sinus cavity enlargement because of chronic infections, and have surgery on both my left and right ankle, I can make it through this. At least I hope I can. If I didn't have the amazing people I did helping me out, I probably would be a lot worse off then I am now. Bring it on withdrawals. Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment